Monday, December 3, 2012

Habanero Pistachios

Habanero Garlic Key Lime Pistachios - I wanted to generate some more ways to use my sauces and I live in Chico Ca and this area produces nuts.. From what I have been told up to 90% of our nations nuts come from Northern California. I was testing out Almonds first and I am still trying to find a supplier who can roast and package our recipes. I seem to find the right people at the right time. I found our current Pistachio connection while playing poker across the street from my house. I had some of my spicy almonds with me sharing for the game and he said to me Have you ever thought of coating Pistachios. I said yes but had not tried it. It turned out he manages a Pistachio Ranch called Fiddyment Farms out of Lincoln Ca and had almost 100 lbs in his truck. He was dropping off for St. Patricks day and they were dyed green. I asked if he could do it? He jumped right on it I gave him a few gallons of sauce and a week later samples were on my door! We tried all three flavors of sauces Garlic Key Lime, Sweet Smoky Chipotle and the Sweet Ginger Garlic.  They were done with the shell on and just the kernels. All of them were AMAZING. We showed the for the first time at the Sunset Magazine Celebration Weekend. Instant hit! The only draw back was that two of our sauces have a high sugar content and when they are roasted they carmalize. Then when you open them they tend to draw in the moisture and get sticky and are messy to eat. The kernels on the other hand are more manageable and are an easy way to add a great kick to Salads and Stir Fry's. The other items was that they don't come across as hot as the Sauces are when out of the bottle. I decided to do a larger production with just the Garlic Key Lime in the Shell. Most people who were looking for a spicy snack were expecting a spicy snack. So the Garlic Key Lime is the hottest and was the best selling. So currently I sell the Garlic Key Lime in 1/2 lb and 1 pound resealable bags. I would like to sell to a larger audience but these are a limited run item for now and can be purchased through our website and at the Farmers Market. The mark up a store has to put on them puts the price tag kind of high. But then again these are done in Small Batches hand roasted and packaged. These are not a mass produced product sold under another name. These are proprietary using only our signature sauces and pistachios. NO SALT ADDED. 

No comments:

Post a Comment